Hepatitis Foundation of Ghana
Hepatitis Foundation of Ghana is a patient’s organization and non-profit, non-governmental organization (NGO) registered in Ghana. It seeks to promote awareness of the prevalence and incidence of viral hepatitis in Ghana, and to educate the public in the prevention of the spread of the virus and the available treatment options. We also provide care and psychosocial support to the infected and affected people and their families. In addition, it seeks to serve as the primary source of information for patients and their families.
HEPATITIS FOUNDATION OF GHANA IS A MEMBER OF:
Our vision is to eliminate new viral hepatitis infections and improve the quality of life for individuals living with chronic hepatitis B and C.
The mission of the Hepatitis Foundation of Ghana is establishing a uniform and fair approach to the effective prevention and comprehensive management of Hepatitis B among people and their families in Ghana.
OUR CORE VALUES
Competence with responsibility and professionalism are our core values. With integrity and being transparent in everything we do, we accept responsibility for our collective and individual actions. Our focus is to work effectively to serve individuals living with viral hepatitis and the larger community in Ghana. Having respect for all, we affirm the dignity and contribution of community participants, development partners, donors and staff as we work for the better of people living with viral hepatitis in Ghana.
- To prevent Hepatitis B spread amongst people or patients and their families.
- To provide treatment, care support and psychosocial support for infected and affected people and their families.
- To provide protection from stigma and discrimination in the houses, churches, market places and offices living with or affected by Hepatitis B.
- Promoting disease awareness, supporting immunization and treatment initiatives, and serving as the primary source of information for patients and their families and the general public.
- To empower young people, to promote their rights and to inform them about how Hepatitis cannot be transmitted, and how they can protect themselves.
- To draw the attention of people in general and those in positions of authority in particular to accept the reality of Hepatitis in our communities, and to recognize the rights of people living with Hepatitis.
- To reject myths and misconceptions, and fight unnecessary Hepatitis discrimination
Raise awareness about the prevention of Hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection, including the key role of immunization.
Raise awareness about the treatment and management of chronic Hepatitis B.
Offer advice and information to individuals with HBV infection or to their families and friends, providing a ‘bespoke’ service by phone/ email/ post.
Facilitate networking between patients and/ or families affected by HBV infection, putting people in touch with others for support and sharing of experiences.
Campaign for better services for people living with Hepatitis, including access to medicine, counseling and other support(s) needed to defend the right to life and to health care.
Support court action or other initiatives by people living with Hepatitis to demand their rights.
Challenge and change laws, attitudes and practices that is contrary to human rights and to effective action against Hepatitis.
Involve more and more people living with Hepatitis in our campaigns and education activities.
Support and encourage people living with Hepatitis to participate in life in the community and to comfort those who are sick.
Inform people living with Hepatitis about their rights and about treatments and how they can protect their loved ones.
Give services and support to people who may be at risk, including women, children and young people, men who have sex with men, injecting drug users and commercial sex workers.
Create spaces where people living with Hepatitis can meet, share concerns and information, and take joint action